2018 Perliss Estate 'The Ravens' Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley

(Net Item - no discounts apply)

Yields are kept small and hand-harvested in this 100% estate-grown Cabernet Sauvignon. The unique Perliss touch of aging in handmade terra-cotta vessels allows 20% of the fruit to develop its character without the influence of oak. The other 80% sees two years in French oak barrels made by small-production coopers. This opens with an intriguing bouquet of espresso and bacon alongside more traditional black cherry and violets. On the palate, plum, cherry, nutmeg and cocoa make for a bold attack. Espresso returns on the finish, along with a lingering tobacco note. This is one for the cellar, with tannins that would benefit from (and deliver on) a little more time in the dark.

Cabernet Sauvignon
Aaron Pott
20 months
Oak Treatment:
60% new, 40% used French oak
Napa Valley
100% Estate - The Ravens Vineyard
Total Varietal Composition %:
100% Cabernet Sauvignon
Alcohol %:
Score Wine Advocate:
SKU #:
750 ml Bottle

Wine Advocate

Made from 100% Cabernet Sauvignon, the 2018 Cabernet Sauvignon The Ravens has a deep garnet-purple color, prancing out of the glass with vivacious scents of blueberry pie, black currant cordial and fresh blackberries plus hints of cinnamon toast and clove oil. Full-bodied, the palate has an approachable structure of finely grained tannins and bold freshness supporting the tightly knit black fruits, finishing with a spicy kick. 346 cases were made.


Jeb Dunnuck

Also a dark, dense wine, the 2019 Cabernet Sauvignon The Ravens sports an inky purple color as well as a slightly more open, sexy style when compared to the 2018. Lots of red and black fruits, leather, toasted spice, and graphite notes define the nose, and it's medium to full-bodied, with ripe tannins and a great, seamless texture. It's going to shine for 15-20 years as well.